To document your tax return, you may do one of the following:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information to your FAFSA, OR
- Request an IRS Tax Transcript, OR
- Copy of the signed Federal Tax Return (2017-18 school year only)
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you filed your FAFSA, you may still do so.
- Login to the FAFSA to “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS”
- On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
*Tax information electronically filed within the last 2 weeks or submitted by mail within the last 8 weeks may not be available.
The Verification Deadline
You are strongly encouraged to submit all requested documentation by the priority deadlines published each year for the term you wish to enter in order to receive a timely award.
The verification review process can range from 2-6 weeks. Submit copies of the requested documentation within 14 days of the request.
The last date to submit verification documents is the last day of the term or your last day of enrollment in the academic year, whichever is earlier.
- Federal Pell Grant Recipients: The deadline is 120 days from your last date of enrollment OR August 31st, whichever comes first. This includes making any necessary corrections to the FAFSA, submitting those corrections to the federal processor, and receiving confirmation in return.
- Federal Student Loan Applicants: GTCC requires verification to occur before determining eligibility for student loans. A federal loan application cannot be originated for a period of enrollment that has already passed.
*Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of you financial aid eligibility.
Submit ALL documents to:
GTCC Financial Aid Office
PO BOX 309
Jamestown NC 27282
You may scan and email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax documents to our office at 336-217-8468.
- Remember to make photocopies for you own records.
- Print your name AND 7-digit GTCC ID number on EACH page of the documents that you submit.
After Verification is Complete
- If the data reported on your FAFSA is confirmed, the Financial Aid Office can determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will notify you to check your financial aid eligibility on WebAdvisor.
- If we find differences between the data reported on your FAFSA and the information that you submitted to us, we may make corrections to your FAFSA. You will be notified by the Department of Education when a new, updated transaction of your FAFSA is created.
- If there are other corrections that need to be made to other items, such as a change in dependency status, you will be notified in writing or by email that a correction needs to be made to your FAFSA by you and / or your parent before processing can continue.
- In accordance with our policy, any matters of suspected financial aid fraud will be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid and if warranted, will be referred to the Department of Education Inspector General for investigation.