GTCC Emergency Student Loan Program
GTCC provides limited, interest-free, short term funds to students who meet the eligibility requirements below. The maximum loan amount is $250 per academic year which includes fall, spring and summer. Students are limited to one loan per academic year, regardless of the fact that you may not have borrowed the maximum limit. Funds are limited and as a result, may not be available year-round.
Qualifying emergency situations eligible to receive funds through this program are as follows:
- Required books and supplies
- Must provide written estimate from provider
- Emergency car repair needed to provide transportation to school
- Must provide copy of car registration in the student’s name AND
- A written estimate for the cost of the repair on the repair shop’s letterhead. No handwritten letters will be accepted.
- Bus pass for one month (no documentation required)
- Loss of personal property vital for school participation through fire or burglary
- Must provide documentation from police or fire department and value of property
- Utilities shut off due to loss of income or other payment methods besides financial aid.
Note: This does not include cable TV or Internet service.
- Must provide copy of shut-off notice
- Imminent eviction due to loss of income or extenuating circumstances beyond your control
- Must provide copy of eviction notice
Only applications fitting the above qualifications, with verifiable documentation, will be considered for approval. These funds are not intended for recurring expenses (i.e. rent, car payment, car insurance, gas, groceries).
Emergency Loans do not begin until the first day of class each semester
Fall and Spring semesters: Emergency Loan applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays. Loan checks are written once a week and are available for direct deposit or for pick up in the Cashier’s Office (with two forms of ID and the email of approval) on the Jamestown Campus after 2:00 p.m. that following Friday.
Summer term: Emergency Loan applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Mondays. Loan checks are written once a week and are available for direct deposit or for pick up in the Cashier’s Office (with two forms of ID and the email of approval) on the Jamestown Campus after 2:00 p.m. that following Thursday.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be enrolled in 9 or more credit hours;
- have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be approved for financial aid for the term that the loan is requested;
- not owe any outstanding debts to the college;
- meet all other eligibility requirements for federal financial aid; and
- must not have defaulted on prior emergency loans.
If approved, the loan will be deducted from the upcoming financial aid disbursement. If not, the loan is due in 30 days from the date of disbursement. Prompt repayment provides funding for the benefit of other students needing this program.