GTCC Emergency Student Loan Program
The Emergency Loan program is designed to assist GTCC students facing unforeseen financial emergencies and catastrophic events that may disrupt their education. Emergency funds are not intended to pay for routine expenses or be a consistent supplement to a student’s education funding.
To apply, please visit the Titan Link office.
Examples of Emergencies
- Emergency car repair needed to provide transportation to school
- Provide copy of valid car registration in the student’s name (cannot be expired) AND
- A written estimate for the cost of the repair on the repair shop’s letterhead. No handwritten letters will be accepted. It must be dated within the last two weeks.
- Loss of personal property vital for school participation through fire or burglary
- Provide documentation from police or fire department and value of property
- Utilities shut off notice in the student’s name due to loss of income or other payment methods besides financial aid. Note: This does not include cable TV or Internet service.
- Provide copy of shut-off notice dated in the last 30 days
- Imminent eviction due to loss of income or extenuating circumstances beyond your control
- Provide copy of late notice/eviction notice
- Any exceptions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
To be eligible for consideration, you must:
- Have completed at least 6 credit hours at GTCC;
- Be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours;
- Be able to submit documentation of the emergency (see above);
- Have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be approved for financial aid for the term that the loan is requested;
- Not owe any outstanding debts to the college;
- Meet all other eligibility requirements for federal financial aid include meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements or be approved on appeal;
- Have not defaulted on prior emergency loans.
The maximum award is $500 per student per school year.
Emergency Loan Application Steps
- Complete the Emergency Loan Application to the Titan Link office and attach required documentation. Applications can be submitted beginning at the 10% point of the semester. For students starting classes on dates other than the first day of the semester, applications can be submitted beginning first day of class.
- Meet with a Titan Link staff member to review your request. You’ll be notified by email regarding your loan approval or denial.
- Fall and Spring semesters: Emergency Loan applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesdays.
Summer term: Emergency Loan applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Mondays.
- You will be notified by GTCC email when your funds are available.